Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Are Subscription Music Streaming Dying?


Image result for spotify




Music is a large part of people of all ages lives. It is a platform for artist to voice their opinions. Over the past years artist have found that they can incorporate their political standpoint within their music. Large music subscription companies such as Apple Music and Spotify have allowed users to listen to a broad span of music under a subscription rather than buying each song individually.


Why do I subscribe?
I am personally a subscriber to Spotify. One of my favorite features that I found Apple Music lacks is the music playlist that are recommended by Spotify. This allows users to find new music. Another feature that I enjoy is the companies partnership with celebrities. For example, "Spotify Sessions" provide insight on the artist's creative standpoint. Allowing the listener to have behind the scenes of how the music is created. Some artist also create a acoustic version of their hit songs that are only available for Spotify. I also like to choose my music rather than having Spotify choose it for me. With a subscription, the listener is allowed to skip and choose a specific song on a playlist rather than listening to music on shuffle.   


But what is next?
Although Spotify is evolving with their physical appearance, there has not been a evolutionary change that allows the company to bring in new markets. Even though Spotify offers different features that other subscriptions does not offer, there is nothing that the consumer believes is a "must need." In my opinion, the way to connect to the consumers is through personal experience. I think that Spotify has reached its maturity point. I think a way for Spotify to bring a larger market is expanding their market to consumers in real life. DJ artist need a wide variety of music to provide entertainment. Instead of forcing DJ artist to pay for songs, there should be a specific subscription that allows DJ artist to "borrow" music to remix rather than forcing them to buy every song that they want or need. This provides Spotify with a new market that would increase sales.


Anna Ta



No comments:

Post a Comment