Saturday, November 21, 2015

Can Artificial Intelligence Sell Shoes

WSJA by: Shelby Peach
Article By: Elizabeth Dwoskin
Published: November 17, 2015 at 6:00PM

     Have you ever been bombarded with too many options while online shopping? The process mostly feels overwhelming because of the unlimited amount of options that are exactly what you ARE NOT looking for. Well thanks to Shoes.com and Sentient Technologies Holdings Ltd., your online shopping experience is about to be a much more relaxing ordeal- at least for Canadians, it will be.

     They're scheming up some artificial intelligence to add a "visual aid" option while online shopping. For example, if you wanted Vince Camputo heels- this option would show you more Vince Camputo heels after you viewed one pair. Let's say that pair of heels was black, then the filter would show you black Vince Camputo heels and other black Vince Camputo shoes. The online software will learn what each person likes, or dislikes, and will show more of whatever it is he or she may want. This is a brilliant addition to the online shopping world because each consumer is going to find exactly what he or she wants at an expedited rate. Online shopping, without this artificial intelligence option, is similar to an endless black hole of options.
      I think this is a step in the right direction, with the small exception that with shoes- you can never tell until you try them on. Other than that, I think that this is an awesome idea. There are times when I am online shopping and I end up looking at a bunch of products that have nothing to do with what I actually needed or wanted to buy. With this, it will not only keep us all from getting distracted while online shopping, but also it will cut our online shopping time in half.

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/BN-LH472_SHOES1_G_20151117001535.jpg


4 comments:

  1. Yes, I find it so frustrating when I am shopping online and cannot find anything, and then realize how much time I wasted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shoes are the most difficult to select online in my opinion, because the appearance looks different due to the lighting on the screen and they also have to be tried on before purchasing, but this is a great idea to showcase a large variety of products.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YESS. Finally they come up with a way to relieve us from the struggle. This "new product" definitely will catch any woman's eye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, while I prefer online shopping to in store shopping, I do find that my time is often wasted when I look on there forever and still find nothing that I was looking for. Hopefully they expand this product to clothes as well.

    ReplyDelete