Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Is It Time to Refresh Your Glasses?

I don't know if any of you have noticed, but there seems to be a pattern when dealing with glasses. Almost every other person you see has the same style and sometimes the same color as you. If you haven't noticed it, Jacob Gallagher has. 

He says that in New York City, there really isn't a way to st yourself apart because almost everyone has the same pair of glasses. "Lately, it seemed, every time I boarded the subway or entered a bar, I encountered multiple funhouse versions of myself. Different height, different clothes, different hair color, but their glasses—Truman Capote-ish, tortoiseshell horn-rims—were identical to mine." 

Gallagher decided that it was time for something new. While trying to look for the perfect glasses, he realized that the plastic ones were light, but were very ugly. When looking at the metal frames, he found that those were the ones that set him apart from everyone else. 

It seems to me that the big component of this target market is the product. Having pairs of glasses all in the same color does not work for everyone. People want to create their own personal brand, and even if glasses seem like something small, they make a huge difference. 


http://www.wsj.com/articles/is-it-time-to-refresh-your-glasses-1447701898

4 comments:

  1. I think this is an interesting topic to cover. I only have one pair of glasses, and I hate wearing them simply because contacts have always been more convenient

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I prefer glasses over contacts any day. The last time I bought glasses, probably 3 years ago, it would have been cool to create my own brand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have noticed this too! The funny thing is I have reading glasses pretty much exactly like those that Gallagher described... I preferred the larger frames because anything smaller seemed to block my vision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Even if glasses seem like something small, it makes a huge difference." It is really right. Although I do not wear glasses:).

    ReplyDelete