Friday, November 13, 2015

LG and Google Introduce a Phone-Free Smartwatch

"LG and Google Introduce a Phone-Free Smartwatch"
Amanda Esquivel
Published: November 12, 2015
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/11/12/lg-and-google-introduce-a-phone-free-smartwatch/?mod=ST1

     LG Electronics Inc. and Alphabet Inc's Google teamed up to create a smartwatch that works without the assistance of a close-by smartphone or WiFi connection. The Android Wear watch features built-in LTE connectivity just like a smartphone. This allows the watch to receive text messages, phone calls, emails and app alerts. LG's Watch Urbane 2nd Edition LTE is the first Android Wear watch and is available for pre-order through AT&T and Verizon. It is scheduled to hit stores on November 13, 2015.
     I chose this article because I have a smartwatch and I thought the idea of my watch being able to function without being near my phone was cool. Then I read that I would have to pay a monthly fee for it, and I lost all interest. Regardless, I think that LG and Google really took their product and competitors into consideration when creating Android Wear.

2 comments:

  1. The monthly fee is a total bummer but it's a step in the right direction, tech wise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nervous for technology takeover. I can't keep up!

    ReplyDelete