Monday, November 16, 2015

Urban Outfitters' Retro Look Isn't Working

WSJA By: Shelby Peach
Article By: Steven Russolillo 
Published: November 15, 2015 at 10:00 PM
       Urban Outfitters is everyone's favorite hipster store (without the hipster prices). We've all wandered into UO wanting to buy a ripped t-shirt that looks like it's been sitting in dirt for the low cost of $50.00. However, this concept of charging a ridiculous price for such a vintage/dirty look is not working for the consumers anymore. 
     The problem, stated by Russolillo is that "consumers just aren't going into stores and spending as much as they used to". Urban Outfitters isn't the only retailer that is getting hit by this- they all are (Macy's, Nordstrom, Dillards, etc.). 
     The reason I chose this article was for a few reasons. The main reason being that I am a shameless UO consumer. I have spent a ridiculous amount of money for their items. However, I feel like I am paying for the convenience and the simplicity of the items I purchase. So in that case, I win. But on the losing side for the consumer, sometimes I have to make a choice. Do I want to spend $150 on groceries, or do I want a sweater and a shirt? For me, I will always pick food. ALWAYS. However, there are other retailers such as H&M, Zara, Forever 21 (this list is ridiculously long) that offer much cheaper alternatives than higher end retailers. Urban Outfitters is going to have to make some sort of change, be it changing the price or changing the products that they are selling. 

http://www.wsj.com/articles/urban-outfitters-retro-look-isnt-working-1447609525


3 comments:

  1. I usually love looking for cheap vintage clothes, such as the clothes at F21. When I first stepped into UO and looked at their clothes, they were really cute. As soon as I saw their prices, I stepped right out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with that last sentence! The clothes at Urban Outfitters are nothing out of the ordinary, but those prices are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If the prices go down I would go more often!

    ReplyDelete