Saturday, December 5, 2015

Food Makers Try Higher-Tech Labels Amid Calls For Transparency (Extra Credit WSJA)


Food Makers Try Higher-Tech Labels Amid Calls For Transparency
WSJA By: Shelby Peach
Article By: Annie Gasparro
Published: Dec. 2, 2015 at 2:51 PM


     Have you ever wondered what all those wild chemicals in your cereal were? Well the SmartLabel Initiative is here to help you do just that- know what you are buying and putting into your body. SmartLabel is making a new wave in the technology and food industry; they've developed a software that will allow you to scan the labels on your food so you can know more about the ingredients and what they do or why they are necessary. Many big food corporations have already jumped on board- PepsiCo., General Mills, and Hershey are just a few examples. Here is the bottom line - more and more people everyday want to know what exactly they are putting into their bodies. People are becoming sick of the genetically engineered foods they are consuming- they aren't good for our bodies, or the environment. The people have had it.
     I chose this article for a few reasons. The first being that I do not really buy processed foods, so this would not be a problem for me. I stay on the outsides of the grocery stores and only go into the isles if I need something like nuts, or salt, or water. The second reason being that, I think this is yet another way that middle- lower class families or members of society suffer. For example, the unhealthy food is ALWAYS cheaper than healthier options, and when you've got many mouths to feed and not much money to do so- you will always choose the cheaper option. Another way the middle/lower classes suffer is because not everyone can afford a smart phone and pay for data to be able to have access to the new software. It's just an unfair advantage for higher income individuals and families. 
     I think, in theory, this is a nice idea; however, I think if the food industry wants to give their consumers more information, they should provide funding to put it on the label. I do believe people should know exactly what these chemicals can do to their bodies. It feeds into America's obesity problem. It's like saying "Eat these chips because these chemicals are OK and here is why it is ok!!". I think the big companies are going to use this as a way to take advantage of gullible consumers. If they genuinely believe the soda is healthy, they're going to drink it. If the big companies were genuinely concerned about their consumers, which I promise they are only concerned about making money, they would actually start offering more natural products, not ones that will continue to pollute our bodies. 
http://www.wsj.com/articles/food-makers-to-address-desire-for-ingredients-transparency-1449085886

2 comments:

  1. Laziness is a huge source fuel for such cereal companies, but on the part of the consumer. I have never taken the time to research the makeup of my food, or even to learn to cook healthily. Honesty, since I would simply rather to indulge in something that is easy and quick to prepare, cheap unhealthy foods are preferable to me over something that costs more and provides a less tantalizing binge experience.
    However, I do agree with your stance on the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laziness is a huge source fuel for such cereal companies, but on the part of the consumer. I have never taken the time to research the makeup of my food, or even to learn to cook healthily. Honesty, since I would simply rather to indulge in something that is easy and quick to prepare, cheap unhealthy foods are preferable to me over something that costs more and provides a less tantalizing binge experience.
    However, I do agree with your stance on the matter.

    ReplyDelete