Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Twitter Looks to Video to Increase Advertising Sales



Twitter failed to reach its first quarter revenue estimates, attributing the shortfall to big-brand advertisers not increasing their spending as quickly as expected. Twitter’s revenue growth is expected to shrink to as little as 17% this quarter after doubling only 18 months ago. The reason for this is because of twitter's “promoted tweet" feature which looks like a regular tweet but includes promotional text, images and links. Brands and companies are moving away from these types of ads because they are looking for more immersive and attention getting advertising such as video or interactive ads. Facebook for instance utilizes video advertisement and because of that their ad revenue jumped 57% in the first quarter. Twitter hopes to have that this shift to video advertisement will generate more ad revenue and prompt more brands to invest in twitter to promote their businesses. 

4 comments:

  1. Although I don't use twitter this article was very interesting. I use Facebook a lot and their ads always catch my attention because they use creative ways to grab your attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all the Hype of social media marketing, having quick video advertisements on twitter will grab the users attention more effectively than regular advertisments

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use twitter all the time and sometimes there's random accounts tweeting on my timeline, usually one of those promoted tweets but if I were to scroll fast down my Twitter feed I'd never see it, I think its a great idea to incorporate videos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use twitter all the time and sometimes there's random accounts tweeting on my timeline, usually one of those promoted tweets but if I were to scroll fast down my Twitter feed I'd never see it, I think its a great idea to incorporate videos.

    ReplyDelete