Thursday, April 11, 2019

Cord-Cutters’ Savings Shrink as Online TV Services Raise Prices

In todays time, there are various providers to choose from when it comes to paying for live T.V.  Up until recently, live T.V. was primarily attained from cable and satellite providers such as Dish and Time Warner Cable. Over the past couple years, traditional live T.V. providers began to take a hit with the expansion of video providing services making the leap to online live T.V. Companies like YouTube and Hulu have expanded their services offering cheaper online live T.V. channels with an upgraded subscription. Around two years ago, YouTube launched YouTube T.V. for $40 a month with availability to a select few of live channels online. Not to long after Hulu took a similar jump at online live T.V. offering packages around $50 a month. Compared to the cable companies price being roughly $100 plus, these online companies are way more affordable. Although only two companies are mentioned, many other video providers made that same effort to provide a cheaper alternative to cable. 
                                         Image result for cord cutters savings 
As these online T.V. providers grew, and cable providers shrunk, the online providers tried yet another attempt to take over the live T.V. industry. The online live T.V. companies next move was to offer an increased variety of live channels, which sounds like a great idea to paying subscribers. Unfortunately for subscribers, this means an increase in month dues. For many, this could be the deal breaker for them. The original intent of this service was offering a cheaper alternative of live T.V. The increased subscription price has now rose close to the price of cable services. More online T.V. companies like Walt Disney Co.,  AT&T's Warner Media, and Apple Inc. have all had price changes. This could further fracture online T.V. and create an alternative to live T.V. difficult. On top of price changes, high speed internet is necessary for any live streaming. In result, alterative-seeking cable consumers or "cord-cutters" savings have decreased as the subscription price of online T.V. services have increased. 
I myself have had my own experiences with cable and online T.V. providers. Growing up and until I began attending college, my home had cable. From my perspective I didn't really consider the price as much as I did with the available channels. I always noticed there were only a few channels I would select from and never gave any attention to the other hundreds of channels. Once I got to college, I didn't not have access to live T.V. through cable but only through online subscriptions. Understanding how to operate and sign up for a live T.V. subscription seemed difficult until I did it. It was so simple, I signed up online and could unsubscribe anytime online, far easier then the effort required in communicating with a cable company over the phone. Recently, I have noticed a few online T.V. providers increase their prices but I also consider the improved and increased variety of channels available. Overviewing my experience with this industry, my opinion is that either one of the live T.V. options can be best for you. If you are content with watching T.V. at home through cable then do it. If you find yourself wanting to watch live T.V. when you don't have access then do it.
Published: 4/11/19
By: Bradley McCaleb

No comments:

Post a Comment